The theme for this year’s Earth Day is Invest In Our Planet, and at Onfido, we believe everyone has a responsibility to do their bit for a greener future.
We work with a range of like-minded businesses for whom sustainability and a greener future are a priority. We want to tackle this problem hand in hand.
Joining the Tech Zero taskforce
In 2021, we became co-founders of the Tech Zero coalition. With other leading UK tech companies, we joined to take action in accelerating progress to net zero. We set out with a clear goal to reduce our emissions, support other companies in making a climate action plan, and use technology to help the 100 million customers we serve to live more sustainably. Our first step was measuring our carbon emissions for 2020 and having these externally audited.
Onfido is committing to measuring our scope 1, 2 and 3 emissions, and reaching net zero by the end of 2031.
This means limiting our company’s carbon footprint in line with keeping global warming to below 1.5°C - the global temperature needed to maintain to avoid the worst impacts of the climate crisis. Scope 1 covers direct emissions from owned or controlled sources, such as running boilers or vehicles. Scope 2 covers indirect emissions from the generation of purchased electricity, steam, heating, and cooling consumed. Scope 3 includes all other indirect emissions, up and down the value chain - for example, products bought from suppliers.
Actions we’re taking to reach our target
As part of our net zero commitment we will:
- Measure, reduce, and report on progress with Watershed - the software platform for running a climate program
- Achieve interim targets by:
- Reducing our scope 2 emissions to 0% by 2026
- Reducing 67% of our scope 3 emissions at a rate of 7% year-over-year by 2026
- Publish our targets and progress in line with Tech Zero’s guidelines and SBTI standards.
- Review our existing internal policies and create environmental policies that support our targets.
Find out more about Tech Zero, their commitments and what you can do to take climate action on Tech Zero’s website. Together we can work to achieve a more sustainable future for everyone.